In a continued effort to build relationships, NSWA members gathered again for the NSWA DC Fly-In from April 4-6, 2022. This year, attendees interacted with many key congressional leaders to discuss issues of importance to NSWA.
Individual meetings were held with 14 Representatives and Senators over these three days. Eight of these meetings were with lawmakers on key-writing and energy-policy development committees in both chambers as well as separate meetings with key staff of those committees. We thanked our friends for their tireless support for the industry and reminded them of the importance of percentage depletion, and we also flagged key issues concerning methane and others. Each meeting was also a kickoff discussion of potential legislative ideas to assist and strengthen the stripper well industry. Here is a list of our meetings:
- Office of Representative Stephanie Bice (R-OK) – Taylor Childress, Senior Legislative Assistant
- Representative Kelly Armstrong (R-ND)
- Office of Representative Kevin Brady (R-TX), House Committee on Ways and Means – James O’Brien, Senior Legislative Assistant & Elle Collins, Tax Counsel
- Representative Kevin Hern (R-OK) & Jefferson Willis, Senior Legislative Assistant
- Senator Lankford (R-OK)
- Senator Jerry Moran (R-KS)
- Office of Senator Shelley Moore Capito (R-WV) – Tara McGee, Tax and Trade Policy Advisor & Kayla McMurry, Counsel, Senate Cmte on EPW & Baxter Carr, Legislative Assistant
- Senator Steve Daines (R-MT) & Joshua Sizemore, Legislative Assistant
- Office of Representative Henry Cuellar (D-TX) & Patrick O’Connor, Energy Legislative Assistant
- Representative Jodey Arrington (R-TX-19th)
- Representative August Pfluger (R-TX-11th)
- Senator Roger Marshall (R-KS) & Bill Birsic, Legislative Assistant
- Joe Boddicker, Tax Counsel (Minority), Senate Committee on Finance
- Office of Senator Mike Crapo (R-ID) & Kristen Siegele, Legislative Assistant
- Senate Committee on Energy and Natural Resources – Peter Stahley and Chris Osman, Professional Staff Members (Majority) & Kate Farr, Counsel (Minority)
- Representative Ron Estes (R-KS) & Nicole Harrison, Legislative Assistant
NSWA was represented by:
- Dick Schremmer, NSWA Chairman (KS)
- J. Nelson Wood, NSWA Treasurer (IL)
- Patrick Montalban, NSWA Secretary (MT)
- Dewey Bartlett, Jr., NSWA Past Chairman (OK)
- Mike Cantrell, NSWA Past Chairman (OK)
- Will Darrah, NSWA Board Member (KS)
- Ken Hunter, NSWA Past Chairman (CA)
Each lawmaker and key staff the NSWA team met with expressed strong support for NSWA’s legislative and policy priorities and great appreciation for the chance to meet face to face after an over two-year hiatus. All expressed a commitment to a continuous “open door” policy on issues and a recognition of the tremendous information and “on the ground” knowledge base resource NSWA members represent.
The DC Fly-In is critical to maintaining strong relationships with lawmakers year-round. We work diligently to continue building and establishing relationships with key lawmakers and reaffirm NSWA as an information and policy resource for key members in 2022 and beyond. Lawmakers will remember that NSWA came and that our members cared enough to show up.
Thank you to Chris Kearney, Vice President, Governmental Affairs, who made this possible, and our attendees for joining this year.